Tenants - Frequently Asked Questions - During the Tenancy

This page offers answers to questions most frequently asked by our clients.  You can also visit the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) site for a list of tip sheets for tenants or the Landlord and Tenant Board, which has an FAQ section and many brochures.

View our Tenant tip sheets:

View our FAQ's on:

  1. Moving In

  2. During the Tenancy

  3. Moving Out

  4. Evictions

  5. Tenant Applications Against the Landlord

  6. Hearings




Q: When does the landlord have to turn the heat on in my unit?

A:   The rules about heat are set by local by-laws. If there is no local by-law, the Province sets the rules. Usually your landlord is required to provide heat from about the middle of September to the first of May at about 20° Celsius.


Q:   When does the landlord have to turn on the air conditioning?

A:   There are no by-laws in place to tell a landlord when to turn on air conditioning.


Q:   Who is responsible for snow removal?

A:   It is usually the landlord’s responsibility to make sure the property can be entered and exited safely.


Q:   Who is responsible for garbage removal?

A:   You and your landlord should agree on how the garbage and recycling items will be collected.


Q:   Who is responsible for maintaining my unit?

A:   It is the landlord’s responsibility to repair the unit. It is the tenant’s responsibility for everyday cleaning.


Q:   Can I withhold rent because their landlord isn’t properly maintaining the building or my unit?

A:   No. If you think the disrepair is serious you should contact your local legal clinic.


Q:   What should I do if repairs are needed to my building or unit?

A:   You should make sure the landlord knows about the problems by telling the landlord in writing. If the problems are not fixed, you can contact your local property standards office to complain. You may wish to file an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board.


Q:   Can my landlord enter my unit?

A:   Yes, if the landlord gives 24 hours written notice. The landlord can come in any time if you agree to the entry or if there is an emergency. If you have given notice to move, the landlord can show the unit.


Q:   What can happen if my landlord enters without notice?

A:   You may file an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board. If the Board finds that the landlord entered the unit illegally then the Board may order an abatement of rent or fine the landlord. You can also contact the Ministry of Housing’s Investigations Unit at: 1-888-772-9277.


Information for Tenants:


 The Law



 Tenant FAQ's



 Tenant Links


If you are a landlord, visit our page for Landlords.

Read the latest in Housing News.

Do you have an emergency?  Are you facing homelessness?