Tenants - Frequently Asked Questions - Tenant Applications

This page offers answers to questions most frequently asked by our clients.  You can also visit the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO) site for a list of tip sheets for tenants or the Landlord and Tenant Board, which has an FAQ section and many brochures.

View our Tenant tip sheets:

View our FAQ's on:

  1. Moving In

  2. During the Tenancy

  3. Moving Out

  4. Evictions

  5. Tenant Applications Against the Landlord

  6. Hearings

Tenant Applications against the Landlord

Q.  What problems can I apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board for help?

A.  Some of the tenant problems in certain situations could include:

  • stopping harassment and discrimination by your landlord,

  • getting your landlord to make needed maintenance and repairs to the rental unit,

  • getting a rent abatement until needed maintenance repair issues are completed,

  • disputing your rent increase,

  • making your landlord return your things or pay you for them, and

  • other possible issues.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, a community legal clinic may be able to help you determine whether your issue is one that can be resolved by submitting a Tenant Application to the Landlord and Tenant Board.


Q:  How do I get problems with my landlord heard by the Landlord and Tenant Board?

A:  You can start an application at the Landlord and Tenant Board for unresolved issues, for example, disrepair in the unit. You can get forms directly from the Landlord and Tenant Board or your local legal clinic.


Q:  How do I file my application with the Landlord and Tenant Board?

A:  You can go in person, mail, fax or courier your application to the Landlord and Tenant Board or visit a ServiceOntario Centre.


Q:  How much does an application cost?

A:  It depends on the type of application, some are free and some cost up to $50.


Q:  How can I pay for an application?

A:  In person you may pay with cash, debit or credit card, money order or certified cheque.  If not in person, you may pay by money order, certified cheque or credit card. 


Q:  What if I can't afford the application fee?

A.  The Landlord and Tenant Board can "waive" a filing fee.  If you are unable to pay the filing fee you must complete a "Fee Waiver Request" to send it in with your application.  The Landlord and Tenant Board will let you know if they are willing to waive the fee.  See http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/filing-and-fees/ for more information on fees and the Practice Direction on Fee Waivers.


Information for Tenants:


 The Law



 Tenant FAQ's



 Tenant Links


If you are a landlord, visit our page for Landlords.

Read the latest in Housing News.

Do you have an emergency?  Are you facing homelessness?