Legal Information - Employment FAQ's

Q.  An employer cannot fire a worker for a reason that violates the Human Rights Code.  What does this mean?

A.  According to the Human Rights Code, an employer cannot fire or discriminate against a worker because of his or her age, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, pardoned criminal offences, marital status, and disability.  A discriminated worker can file a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal.

Q:  How can I unionize?

A:  Unions can improve your wages and working conditions through collective bargaining.  In order to unionize:

  1. You must choose a union that you want to represent your workplace.  There are many different unions that you can choose.

  2. Once you choose a union, you must have at least 40% of the workers in your workplace (the bargaining unit) sign a union card agreeing to be a member of that union.

  3. If at least 40% of the potential bargaining unit signs a union card, then there will be a vote to see if the majority of the workers want to be unionized.  If more than 50% of the workers vote yes, than your workplace is unionized.


Information for Workers:

The Law 

  The Law










Read the latest in Employment News.